If there is one thing every homeowner could agree they need more of around the house, it’s probably storage. Spacious cabinets, roomy closets, ample basement or attic space – these are the things homeowners crave. We all need a place to stash our “stuff,” but if your closets are filled to the brim already you may be at a loss as to where to store your keepsakes, out-of-season clothing or just every day odds and ends. Here are six ultra-clever ways to keep your things out of site and neatly tucked away.
1. Take a step – A staircase is one of the greatest examples of maximizing every inch of your home. There are countless ways to use the stairs in your home as storage solutions, but we love the use of each step as a pull-out drawer, creating under-the-stairs bookshelves or pull-out drawers and even converting that empty space below into a cozy reading nook.
2. Under-the-bed – Once upon of time we were terrified of what might be under our beds. Ensure no monsters find their way there by using that under-your-mattress space for storage! Plenty of bed manufacturers make models with pull-out drawers for convenient places to stock pillows, blankets or bulky sweaters.
3. From down-below – Basement crawl spaces or open areas under apartment floors can be lined with shelves and outfitted with folding stairs to hoard anything.
4. From up-above – Don’t neglect those spaces above doorways, at the tops of closets or even lining your ceilings as perfect spaces for shelves or cabinets.
5. Think inside the box – From ratty “painting” apparel in old trunks to hidden litter boxes in an unassuming credenza, if there’s anything in your house that’s capable of storing those unsightly things we’d rather not be reminded of every day, put them to use!
6. Store on a door – Think beyond “over the door” coat hooks (although those make great storage solutions, too). Use a door-length hanging pocket organizer to corral socks, craft supplies, even loose change! Install some simple wire baskets and you’ve found the perfect space to store gift wrap, tissue paper or greeting cards!
Do you have any additional clever storage solutions? We’d love to hear about them!