It’s that time of year again, where holiday parties start invading every one of your well-deserved weekends. Guests and friends of guests are coming in and out of homes around this time of year. Something else that could possibly be coming in and out of your home around this time of year is that cold and frigid winter air. During these times, it is vital to make sure your home is ready and prepared for the months ahead. Did you know that (more…)
Are you heading out of this Midwestern winter and going on a vacation to a warmer climate?
Whether you’re one of the lucky vacationers or not, you probably don’t need me to tell you to lock all your doors and windows when you’re gone. But is there anything else you can do to keep your house safe?
With the official start of winter today, December 21st, chances are you might grab a blanket and cuddle up by the fireplace to stay warm these next few months. Before doing this, however, it is important to schedule your annual chimney sweep and inspection, especially if you own a wood burning fireplace.
For all the fun the holiday season brings, if you’ll be traveling away from home you may have some added stress. There’s a lot to prepare before that fun begins. You’ve got to arrange transportation, make sure pets are taken care of and, of course, double check that all the gifts and goodies are packed. But in all the hustle and bustle of preparing for a holiday away from home, one of the most important things to consider is the safety of your home while you’re away.
Follow these tips before hitting the road to ensure your home is safe and your mind at peace: (more…)
Cathy Rapp is a real estate agent and part of the Pop/Rapp Team in Coldwell Banker Residential Brokerage’s North Shore office. Today, Cathy explains the importance of keeping your family safe by taking precautions when it comes to carbon monoxide in your home.
Keep Your Family Safe During the Holidays & Beyond
Every year about this time, I am reminded of the family traveling for the holidays to meet at a friend’s vacation home. I won’t get into the details, but falling asleep together after a long day of traveling, they all tragically died during the night from carbon monoxide poisoning. The Center for Disease Control reports that the majority of carbon monoxide exposures and poisoning occur more often during the fall and winter when people are more likely to use gas furnaces, heaters and generators in their homes. Carbon monoxide is a hidden threat as it is both a colorless and odorless gas. Keep your home, family, friends and pets safe during the holidays by following the CDC Recommendations below: (more…)